Saturday 21st of October 2017

Follow Us

Breaking News

Home Affairs strike called off

Pretoria,Jun 19:-- The labour unions representing Home Affairs employees have called off a strike planned for Monday, following an agreement reached between the Department of Home Affairs and the unions.

The department has been engaged in a protracted dispute with the Public Servants Association (PSA), the National Health, Education & Allied Workers Union (Nehawu) and the National Union of Public Service and Allied Workers (Nupsaw) on the issue of implementing new opening and closing hours. The dispute dates as far back as March 2015.

The unions objected to officials working on Saturdays, which, according to them, officials would effectively be required to work for six days a week as opposed to five days.

This, according to the unions, meant extra transport costs for officials spread over six days, to cover Saturdays, and costs incurred towards caring for members’ minor children, as well as leave allocation.

Following the unions’ demands that the department either compensate employees working on Saturdays or reverting to a system where employees work a five-day week, from Monday to Friday, the department indicated it is not in a financial position to consider and accede to this demand.

 

 

 Instead, it tabled an alternative settlement proposal in which officials would be granted a day off during the week, on Wednesdays, to ensure that they do not extend their days over 6 days.

Following months of court battles, the department has withdrawn a circular aimed at forcing its staff to work on Saturdays without paying them overtime.

“The Department of Home Affairs withdraws the circular introducing the shift system. We will negotiate in a way that satisfies both the employer and employees” the department's Nkidi Mohoboko said on Saturday.

In an agreement signed at Public Service Bargaining Centre in Centurion on 15 June 2017, the department withdraws the circular introducing the shift system, dated 02 March 2015, and that operations within the department will revert to conditions that prevailed prior to implementation of the circular including voluntary work on Saturdays.

The trade unions also withdraws the notice of intention to strike issued on 06 June 2017.

The parties also agreed to enter into collective bargaining on working hours at the Departmental Bargaining Chamber of the General Public Service Sector Bargaining Council (GPSSBC).

Related Africa News

Africa's rapid urbanization can drive industrialization, says new UN report

New York, Oct 20:-- A United Nations report out Thursday makes concrete recommendations on how the right African policy framework can harness the continent's rapid urban transition to drive industrial development.   “African urbanization has not been driven by improving agricultural produ....

At least 3 dead as South Sudan rebel groups clash

Juba,Oct 20 :-- South Sudanese rebel groups fought each other this week in a strategic area near the Ugandan border leaving at least three dead, rebels said.   The clashes broke out on Tuesday and Wednesday in Kajo Keji between two groups: one loyal to former army general Thomas Cirillo and one....

Cairo says N Korean arms seized in 2016 was not bound for Egypt military

Cairo,Oct 3:-- Egypt has rejected a Washington Post report that a shipment of North Korean weapons seized last year at Suez Canal had been destined for its military.   Citing US officials and Western diplomats, the Post reported Sunday that the Egyptian army was secretly buying $23 million wort....

Nigeria's Buhari welcomes 'proper debate' for reforms

Lagos,Oct 2:-- Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari said on Sunday that calls for restructuring of the country were "legitimate" but warned that they had to be decent and follow legal channels such as the parliament.   "At all events, proper dialogue and any desired constit....

Over half of schools remain closed in epicentre of Boko Haram crisis in Nigeria – UNICEF

New York, Sept 30:-- About 57 per cent of all schools are closed in Nigeria's Borno state, worst hit by the Boko Haram insurgency and the subsequent humanitarian crisis, leaving an estimated 3 million children in need of emergency education support, even as the new school year begins, the United Nat....

Links
Contact
Editor :
Jagadananda Pradhan
Email :
fastmailmedia@gmail.com
fastmail@yahoo.com
Mob :(+91) 9437155542
Ph : 06764 223911
Contact Us
© 2015 Fast Mail Media Pvt Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
Developed by : FM Media Pvt Ltd.