Tuesday 20th of February 2018

Follow Us

Breaking News

Las Vegas shooting leaves 58 killed, more than 500 injured

Las Vegas, Oct 3:-- At least 58 people were killed and over 500 others got injured, after a gunman opened fire on concert-goers opposite the Mandalay Bay hotel and resort on the Las Vegas Strip on Sunday night, reports said.

 

Condemning the incident, US President Donald J. Trump tweeted: "My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!"

 

Meanwhile, police said the suspect, a local resident,  was killed after a SWAT team burst into the 32nd floor of the hotel from  where  he was firing at the crowd below.

 

According to reports, the  suspect  has been identified as Stephen Paddock.

 

Paddock, 64, is from Mesquite, about 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas and had been known to local law enforcement.

 

The shooting is not believed to be connected to terrorism, NBC News has reported.

 

“Right now we believe it’s a solo act, a lone wolf attacker,” Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Sheriff Joe Lombardo said.

 

 “We are pretty confident there is no longer a threat.”

 

Authorities said the gunman appeared to have begun firing at 10:08 p.m. local time  from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel toward the concert venue across the street.

 

The Los Anegeles Times quoted the Sheriff as saying that police are seeking to interview a woman, identified as Marilou Danley, who is described as the suspect's "companion."

 

 She was described as an Asian woman, about 4’11” in height.

 

“We have not located her at this time, and we are interested in talking to her for a follow-up,” Lombardo said.

 

Two of the dead are said to be a  pair of off-duty police officers who were attending the concert, Lombardo said.

 

Video posted on social media showed the open-air concert fully underway when bursts of automatic gunfire rang out.

 

 Dozens of concertgoers dropped to the ground, screaming, while others ran for safety.

 

The shooting went on for about more than 30 seconds before the music stopped, and another burst was heard later.

 

The attack came during the last performances on the final night of the  three-day country music festival on an 15-acre lot across Las Vegas  Boulevard from Mandalay Bay.

 

Following the deadly  incident, all planes were temporarily grounded at the Las Vegas airport. However, flights resumed after some time.

 

Parts of I-15 near the Strip were also shut down, and hotel guests across the strip were being ordered to shelter in place.

 

The freeway reopened later, but offramps near the strip remained closed through much of the night.

Related Americas News

My campaign’s collusion with Russia was hoax: Trump

 Washington,Feb 19:-- US President Donald Trump has said that his election campaign’s collusion with the Russian government during the US 2016 presidential election was a “hoax”.   "I never said Russia did not meddle in the election, I said 'it may be Russia, or Chin....

US President slams FBI over deadly school shooting

 West Palm Beach,Feb 19:-- U.S. President Donald Trump blasted the FBI on Saturday for missing a tip about the gunman accused of killing 17 people in a Florida high school.    “Very sad that the FBI missed all of the many signals sent out by the Florida school shooter. This is n....

Trump blames FBI’s focus on Russia probe for Florida school shooting

 Washington,Feb 18:-- US President Donald Trump has criticized the FBI for the recent mass shooting in a Florida high school, saying the agency was too preoccupied with the ongoing probe into the alleged Russia meddling in the 2016 election.   The FBI admitted it had failed to stop a gunma....

Mexican interior minister survives chopper crash, toll rises to 13

 Mexico City,(Fast Mail):-- Thirteen people were killed after a military helicopter crashed in southern Mexico following an earthquake in the region, prosecutors in Oaxaca State said Saturday.   Twelve people died at the scene of the crash and another person later died in hospital. Fifteen....

US using 'large sticks' to convince N Korea to give up nukes: Tillerson

 Washington,Feb 18:-- US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has said that the United States is using "large sticks" instead of carrots to convince North Korea to give up nuclear weapons.   "We're not using a carrot to convince them to talk. We're using large sticks. And that i....

Links
Contact
Editor :
Jagadananda Pradhan
Email :
fastmailmedia@gmail.com
fastmail@yahoo.com
Mob :(+91) 9437155542
Ph : 06764 223911
Contact Us
© 2015 Fast Mail Media Pvt Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
Developed by : FM Media Pvt Ltd.