Tuesday 17th of October 2017

Follow Us

Breaking News

Nigeria's Buhari welcomes 'proper debate' for reforms

Lagos,Oct 2:-- Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari said on Sunday that calls for restructuring of the country were "legitimate" but warned that they had to be decent and follow legal channels such as the parliament.

 

"At all events, proper dialogue and any desired constitutional changes should take place in a rational manner, at the National and State Assemblies. These are the proper and legal fora for national debate, not some lopsided, un-democratic body with pre-determined set of objectives," Buhari said in a 17-minute speech commemorating Nigeria’s 57th independence anniversary.

 

He said attaining freedom [from British colonial rule] was one of the most precious of human desires and that October 1 "is always a day for celebrations" despite the "trials and tribulations" the country had gone through.

 

The president boasted that political freedom had blossomed under him in the past two years, while economic and security challenges were being tackled along with a robust anti-corruption fight.

 

He warned however that such freedom was now "open to abuse", a tacit reference to the secessionist agitations in the country's southeast led by the now proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

 

"Recent calls on restructuring, quite proper in a legitimate debate, has let in highly irresponsible groups to call for dismemberment of the country. We can not and we will not allow such advocacy," according to Buhari.

 

"As a young Army Officer, I took part from the beginning to the end in our tragic civil war costing about 2 million lives, resulting in fearful destruction and untold suffering. Those who are agitating for a re-run were not born by 1967 and have no idea of the horrendous consequences of the civil conflict which we went through," he added.

 

The president slammed some community leaders for not reining in the secessionists.

 

"I am very disappointed that responsible leaders of these communities do not warn their hot-headed youths what the country went through. Those who were there should tell those who were not there the consequences of such folly," the 74-year-old leader said.

 

"Government is keeping up the momentum of dialogue with stakeholders in the Niger Delta to keep the peace. We intend to address genuine grievances of the communities. Government is grateful to the responsible leadership of those communities and will pursue lasting peace in the Niger Delta," he added.

Related Africa News

Cairo says N Korean arms seized in 2016 was not bound for Egypt military

Cairo,Oct 3:-- Egypt has rejected a Washington Post report that a shipment of North Korean weapons seized last year at Suez Canal had been destined for its military.   Citing US officials and Western diplomats, the Post reported Sunday that the Egyptian army was secretly buying $23 million wort....

Over half of schools remain closed in epicentre of Boko Haram crisis in Nigeria – UNICEF

New York, Sept 30:-- About 57 per cent of all schools are closed in Nigeria's Borno state, worst hit by the Boko Haram insurgency and the subsequent humanitarian crisis, leaving an estimated 3 million children in need of emergency education support, even as the new school year begins, the United Nat....

Uganda MPs brawl over presidential age limit bill for second day

Pretoria,Sept 29:-- Scuffles have broken out for a second day at Uganda’s parliament during debates over a highly controversial bill that could potentially grant President Yoweri Museveni another term in office.   Ugandan lawmakers on Wednesday got engaged in physical violence while prote....

North Africa set to adopt five-year plan to boost youth employment – UN labour agency

New York, Sept 28:-- With a youth unemployment rate at 28.8 per cent – twice the global average – countries in North-- Africa need to adopt a broader, more concerted response to tackle the crisis, the United Nations labour agency warned on Wednesday.   “Arguably the single big....

Libya groups start talks in Tunisia to launch new UN plan

Tripoli,Sept 28:-- The opposing sides of a conflict in Libya have begun a series of negotiations in neighboring Tunisia to officially launch a new plan by the United Nations to end the six-year-old turmoil in the country.   Reports said the meeting, which got closed to the press, began on Tuesd....

Links
Contact
Editor :
Jagadananda Pradhan
Email :
fastmailmedia@gmail.com
fastmail@yahoo.com
Mob :(+91) 9437155542
Ph : 06764 223911
Contact Us
© 2015 Fast Mail Media Pvt Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
Developed by : FM Media Pvt Ltd.