Tuesday 12th of December 2017

Follow Us

Breaking News

Smugglers throw 300 African migrants off boats headed to Yemen – UN agency

New York, Aug 11:-- A total of 300 migrants have reportedly been forced from boats over the past two days by smugglers off the coast of Yemen – many feared dead or missing, the United Nations migration agency has reported.

 

“The survivors told our colleagues on the beach that the smuggler pushed them into the sea when he saw some 'authority types' near the coast,” said Laurent de Boeck, the Yemen Chief of Mission of the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

 

“They also told us that the smuggler has already returned to Somalia to continue his business and pick up more migrants to bring to Yemen on the same route. This is shocking and inhumane. The suffering of migrants on this migration route is enormous. Too many young people pay smugglers with the false hope of a better future,” de Boeck added.

 

According to IOM, up to 180 migrants were reportedly thrown into the sea from a boat on Thursday by the smugglers. Five bodies have been recovered so far, and around 50 are reported missing.

 

 

 

This latest incident comes barely 24 hours after smugglers forced more than 120 Somali and Ethiopian migrants into the sea as they approached the coast of Shabwa, a Yemeni Governorate along the Arabian Sea, resulting in the drowning of around 50 migrants. The migrants had been hoping to reach countries in the Gulf via war-torn Yemen.

 

Shortly after yesterday's tragedy, IOM staff found the shallow graves of 29 migrants on a beach in Shabwa, during a routine patrol. The dead had been quickly buried by those who survived the smuggler's deadly actions. The approximate average age of the passengers on the boat was 16.

 

Since January of this year, IOM estimates that around 55,000 migrants left the Horn of Africa to come to Yemen, most with the aim of trying to find better opportunities in the Gulf countries. More than 30,000 of those migrants are under the age of 18 from Somalia and Ethiopia, while a third are estimated to be female.

 

This journey is especially hazardous during the current windy season in the Indian Ocean. Smugglers are active in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden, offering fake promises to vulnerable migrants. IOM and its partners operate across the region to support these migrants and provide lifesaving assistance to those who find themselves abused or stranded along the route.

Related Africa News

UN peacekeepers: A history of deadly attacks

UN,Dec 11:-- An attack which killed 15 United Nations peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of Congo late Thursday is one of the worst in the history of the organization.   The following is a look at previous deadly attacks on the so-called Blue Berets:   Democratic Republic of Congo: &n....

Security Council considers measures to support regional force in the Sahel

 United Nations,Dec 10(THeFastMail):-The United Nations Security Council today adopted a resolution clarifying the ways in which the international community, including the UN mission Mali – known by its French acronym MINUSMA – is expected to provide support to a multi-country joint....

Security Council considers measures to support regional force in the Sahel

UN,Dec 9,(Fast Mail):-- The United Nations Security Council today adopted a resolution clarifying the ways in which the international community, including the UN mission Mali – known by its French acronym MINUSMA – is expected to provide support to a multi-country joint military force co....

UN agency begins assisting thousands of West African migrants to leave Libya

 Tripoli,Dec 9,(Fast Mail):-- The United Nations migration agency and the Government of Niger welcomed the first 504 people from Libya to Niger, kicking off a voluntary mass evacuation of nearly 4,000 migrants.   “After the discussions at the [African Union-European Union] summit in ....

15 UN peacekeepers killed in worst attack on ‘blue helmets’

 DR Congo,Dec 9(Fast Mail):-- At least 15 United Nations ‘blue helmets’ in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) have been killed and many more injured, in what the Secretary-General António Guterres described as the “worst attack” on UN peacekeepers in recen....

Links
Contact
Editor :
Jagadananda Pradhan
Email :
fastmailmedia@gmail.com
fastmail@yahoo.com
Mob :(+91) 9437155542
Ph : 06764 223911
Contact Us
© 2015 Fast Mail Media Pvt Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
Developed by : FM Media Pvt Ltd.